Saturday, February 26, 2005

i like cream cheese, that's something


Hello Left Turn! Hello Monkey Wrench! Hello Philadelphia!

After the longer than expected wait to hear from Seattle (C@L!) about the Swank Job, I came across another opening for a swank job, herein referred to as Son of Swank Job. I sent in my resume. It was more of a Plan C kind of idea. I wasn’t really excited about it. I’ve never been to Philadelphia. I’ve actually only twice in my life even spelled Philadelphia and you just read both of ‘em folks. D’oh! Make that three times now. But you get it, it’s off the radar. It’s hard to spell. I don’t know a soul there! No good!

But!

The paper there sounds incredibly cool! The publisher, Would-Be Boss #2, is very laid back. They do lots of really interesting and innovative things. The atmosphere seems like something I’d fit right into. As for the city itself, well, from what I can tell on this here internet thing, it seems pretty darn nice! Lots of things to do and cool old brick colonial style buildings everywhere. It’s the 5th largest city in the U.S.! If that wasn’t enough already, the LIBERTY BELL is there! The Liberty Bell! Oh! And this season of The Real World was filmed there, too! And maybe best of all – it’s an hour train ride to NYC! Weekends of debauchery! And it’s just an hour train ride to Washington DC, too! Best chance I'll ever have to make out with President Bill Clinton! Maybe I’ll make the news!

They fly me out there next week!

Here is a patriotic photo collage I found of Philadelphia:


Suddenly my decision of Take Swank Job or Live Impoverished is slightly more complicated. If’ I’m lucky, I’ll have three choices! Swank Job, Son of Swank Job or Live Impoverished. It feels kinda good to take a few eggs out of the Seattle basket and set them aside for safe keeping. It feels EXTRA good to make decisions without having to consider anyone or anything else, just me. Maybe I really am gonna be alright. Wow!

I spent a lot of time yesterday talking to basement dwelling P. He is one of the coolest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of looking at hairy tongue pictures with! We also had a number of interesting conversations about such things as the Egyptian Two Headed Baby, the Pope, leprosy, Eliot Smith, feeeeelings and figuring out what it is you should do with your life. The Egyptian Two Headed Baby and the Pope were rolled into one conversation as we wondered what the Pope would have done with the extra head. We decided that he would want to keep it attached. And P agreed. It’s not often that P and the Pope come down on the same side of an issue – but in this case, he thought they would both recommend a custom knitted hat. I couldn’t decide to go with P and the Pope on this one or venture out on my own and support it’s removal. The extra head blinked! It smiled! It had curly hair! BUT! It was growing upside down out of another baby’s head who also blinked and smiled and had curly hair! So, it’s a tough call. As we all know it was removed – with the Pope being out of commission and the family being Muslim and surely not giving a damn what the Pope thought anyway and all – I at least hope the Head was treated to a proper burial! I also hope the other head with the baby attached will be ok! Has this left you wanting more Pope and Two Headed Baby talk? Click here!

I feel like I should end this with some sort of deep thought or Doogie Howser M.D. style lesson learned about eggs in baskets or figuring out what to do with your life, but I think for today, I’m just all about the sun outside and the friends I’ll see in a bit.

Nice.

5 comments:

heatherfeather said...

i like cream cheese too.

have you ever wondered if the eggs like being in a basket more than in a carton? baskets are more like nests... but then again, there's no one sitting on them.

if you put your eggs in a basket because you think they'll like it bettter, do you have to sit on the eggs?

or do you just get to attached to your breakfast if you store them in a basket and sit on them?

just wondering.

(good luck with the job thing - i just went through something similar with grad schools... except in all 5 scenarios, i wind up impoverished. so impoverished in denver i sit happy as a clam on a basket of eggs.)

maybe sleep would be good.

bib said...

Although your pic of Phili isn't quite as accurate (please add in lots and lots of trash, cops, gang paintings on the bricks, and a ton of people everywhere) I really like the city. Not only is it a ton of fun you are so close to everything. DC and NYC are just a couple hours away. There is tons to do there. I so miss that part of the country. Good luck with your job hunting!

Lisa Armsweat said...

Hey babe, I like the sound of your outlook today. Three baskets with an improbable amount of eggs, really! Excellent. Or, should I say, Eggs-cellent! Yes, I should! Yippeeeee!
Thanks fo' the P-Head and the Pope linkage. And I personally hope you end up in Philly, because I will be in Jersey before too long and we can chill on th' East Coast and I'll show you the great places to play Skeeball.

Me.Myself.I said...

You would be soooo close to D.C.! And that would be awesome.

extraspecialbitter said...

With all of those eggs in your basket, I'll bet you can make one tasty omelette! Save some cream cheese for the accompanying bagel (or would an English Muffin be better?), pour yourself a cup of freshly brewed coffee and you've got heaven on a plate. If you'll excuse me, I need to go and get some breakfast...