Monday, January 17, 2005

rockin' in the free world



Back to work, and I’m not even itching to kill anyone! Thanks, Day Off!

I went to see M’s two band’s play their little hearts out on Saturday night at the way cool musician’s co-op. I was assigned the task of “Door Girl” which means I got to touch everyone who was there at least once. The hand stamp said PICK UP on it, like you were mail. Last time I was there the stamp was a pair of kissy lips. We stamped the lips on our hand faces (you know, the Mr. Bill hand faces…) and proceeded to make out with each other and feed them beer drinks all night.

I was way impressed with M’s bands, as always, but kinda more so this time around. Something about M looking so at home on stage, something about how his hands move so fast they are blurs, something about their music being really really good, something about where we were, too. I use to play violin, I like to sing, but I’m not a musician by any stretch of the imagination. But there, I was surrounded by musicians, people who were pretty skilled in their own right and in bands that didn’t suck and they were all in AWE of M’s bands, especially his baby. I over heard dozens of praise-filled comments on their level of musicianship and music ADD sound. It’s gotta feel pretty dang good to be praised so enthusiastically by your music-nerd friends. Good for him! He deserves it. It’s been a long road to there.

OH the other thing that impressed me – they didn’t go on until after 1am and the place was PACKED still. AMAZING. Usually the last band plays to a third of the crowd, if they’re lucky. They gots the sticking around power!

The co-op is BYOB, which apparently stands for "Get Drunk - Real Cheap!" in some other language – and OH - that’s what I did. I did whisky shots. I had lots of beer drinks. I was having to think real hard when people born in the 80s handed over their IDs. Don’t drink and do math, kids! It leads to no good.

Sunday morning was cartoons and pancakes just like I had wished for. Dreams really do come true! I guess the key to that is to start wishing for things like pancakes and cartoons. Mental note! No more world peace crap – I wish for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch! Hand it over!

The only plan I had the whole Sunday was attending the Women’s Expo with M and his sister, L. You know, cuz I’m a woman and all. Roar. I have never before been in a place so drenched in estrogen! We mostly waited in line for free things and each left with two fully stuffed shopping bags. Good people watching and more free samples of food stuffs then you could shake a stick at. You don’t believe me? We started keeping a list of all we ate – you’ll be in AWE! What’s even more impressive is that there was plenty we DIDN’T eat. Read on!

Things consumed at the Minneapolis Women’s Expo:
1 and a half nacho chips
Ice cream
FUZE green tea beverage
Pre-spooned spoonful of key lime pie
Roasted corn thingies
Nacho cheese protein chips
Brownie
Ritz cracker with soynut butter on it
Potato soup
Uncrustable grilled cheese (fucking DELICIOUS!)
Jam on a cracker
Diet Pepsi
RADIANT soda beverage
2 small pickles
Zesty ranch rice cake crackers
Bite of a oatmeal raisin Kashi bar
Honey glazed carrots
Taco pizza slice, wee
V-8 Splash smoothie
Apple chips
Turkey pepperoni
Banana
Pear wedge
Cookie
Jelly donut, tiny

No wonder we skipped dinner! SHIT!

The weekend ending watching Desperate Housewives under blankets in the blue light of the tv. Perfection!

I’m all happy inside and stuff.

1 comment:

Me.Myself.I said...

Sounds like a brilliant day off. I am supremely impressed by the food and drink that you consumed as well. What variety! I am intrigued by the uncrustable grilled cheese. Ingenious!