Saturday, January 15, 2005

imagine him in plaid


Last night I spoke of my idea for a squirrel quilt. Started out talking about a tree that was in the front yard of a house where I had babysat a skinny baby. The house smelled like mothballs and had a socially anxious brother-in-law living on the top floor. He’d come down to make lunch and slink around the kitchen like I would pounce on him at any second. He was in law school, too. Wonder how that’s gonna work out! I digress. So I said that in their yard was a tree that had a hole in it and in that hole lived a squirrel, I know because I saw him go in there without knocking -- which signifies that he lives there full time. And when I mentioned this tree and the squirrel house it contained, I said that I wanted to make this squirrel a quilt and stick it in that hole. I got strange looks! My mom said that when I was a kid I wanted to make squirrels clothes, so at least I’ve matured a little. I mean, a quilt is much more practical than a shirt. Especially one that would have buttons on it. But the strange looks continued. And when it came time for me to go, I walked to the car feeling like I was something special.

1 comment:

Me.Myself.I said...

For some really random and unexplained reason, I have always had a fear of squirrels. Its not a great fear to have around these parts, esp since the squirrels at Univ. of Md College Park are freakin' insane. No lie, I actually saw one outside of the library on campus eating a piece of chicken that someone had thrown in the trash. But I do think that they need quilts. It gets damn cold!