Thursday, November 25, 2004

pass the stuffing, please



Ah, Thanksgiving. The giving of the thanks. A time for family and friends and holiday circulars and lots of jewelry commercials. A time for turkey and it’s pasty side dishes and wee bottles of wine. A time to reflect on what you’re thankful for. And if you haven’t guessed, that’s where today’s story will begin

…and probably end.

My list of things that I am thankful for. By Haiku Girl, grade 27.

• Holiday Spice Pepsi!
• Good health and stuff.
• How sometimes, we’ll make a whole $10 - $15 profit in a day at the coffee shop and then immediately go blow it on beer!
• The fact that I’m skinner than I was last year! High fives for me!
• Hamsters.
• That turkey is a vegetable now! It’s true. Just happened this year!
• This phrase, drunkenly used to describe tiny bottles of chardonnay at M's parent's house: chardonette!
• The pitter patter of little feet around the house again.
• Johnny Cash.
• Cowgirl shirts worn with imaginary holsters and red felt cowboy hats. Oh, and finger guns! Bang! Bang!
• The fact that given the vast amount of restaurant and cuisine choices in our fair city, my parents always pick “American, casual.” Makes it easy.
• An invitation to the only place I’d really want to be on Thanksgiving.
• Christmas songs. YEAH, you heard me right.
• The fact that one day, hopefully soon, I’ll be able to get that U2 song outta my head. It’s gotta happen, right? One day? Somehow? Cross your fingers for me.
• Customers who tip in bills, not change! I want to hug them.
• Hand turkeys.
• My friends and family. MAN, I love you guys.
• Left-overs.
• Tap dancing.
• Air hockey.
• Netflix. This is in theory only, since my first batch of movies has yet to arrive. And it’s been a while. Like over a week. Wait a minute - that stinks! PERHAPS, I’m not thankful for them at all! Those fuckers!
• The Chatter Box Pub and their yummy chip strips and dark beer!
• This phrase: chip stips!
• That I learned how to read.
• Food obsessed cats who sneeze when they’re cold.
• World peace – oh wait, we don’t have that. Have to move that over to “Christmas List.”
• Calm. Calm. Calm. And more Calm.

Now – let’s go eat some turkey vegetables! Woo-hoo!

3 comments:

Jason said...

I am just thankful that you posted again.

Wait a minute. My thanksgiving was last month.

I am thankful that we copy your thanksgiving.

There. That's better.

J.

Contrary Guy said...

You'll like Netflix, but maybe not until mail-order shopping season is over (heavy traffic at the P.O.). And it also depends on whether your mail carrier rules or drools.

You have customers who tip with spare change? Ouch...

Sam said...

Haiku? When was the last time you wrote one?