Saturday, November 20, 2004

interstate 94

Driving today, I saw the eerie remains of an accident that had just happened minutes before. A crumpled car, it could have been made of paper for all the wrinkles and creases. Stunning that it was metal. The driver had been pulled from the upside down blue American made something or other and was lying on the ground, unmoving. A girl was crouched beside him with the distinct look of fear and panic on her face, not knowing what to do other than lay her hand on his shoulder and look at the cars passing by with her wide deer in the headlights eyes. There were no paramedics there yet. No police there yet. Just that girl, and a few lurking good samaritans. Walking around, on cell phones, surely calling for help. Safety glass chunks like crushed ice littered the highway. There were creeping fluids darkening the pavement and running along the slight dips in the road. I’d like to think it was gasoline or anti-freeze and not blood. It’s cold out today. Thirty-five degrees. He had a jacket on, a puffy Vikings jacket, and almost white blue jeans. I couldn’t help but to think of how cold the pavement must be on his back. Thinking that girl should get a blanket for him somehow. How if I had one, I’d have held it out the window. As I was passing the accident, I finally saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror and the traffic slowly and awkwardly part to let the ambulance through. I saw the girls head turn and look towards the sirens, she only looked slightly relived. I wondered if they were strangers. I wondered what she would think of the rest of the day, if she’d cry when she got back into her car to finish what it was she set out to do that morning. I put my hand to my mouth and could feel my eyes tear up as I drove by. Thinking about how lucky I am that wasn’t me or someone I loved. Thinking how horrible to have this happen a week before Thanksgiving, wondering if his family would be thankful for his bandaged and bruised body at the table or mourning his passing just a week before. Thinking the things that really knock you to your knees hit you randomly and out of the blue and leave you shaking and trying to put the pieces back together when you thought you had the puzzle finished. Thinking of the phone call his wife or mother would get this afternoon that would make them drop the phone and grab their car keys. Thinking how love binds us in ways we don’t even know.

1 comment:

Jason said...

perhaps he drove into something on purpose, to escape from the love that did not bind him at all.

To just escape.