Wednesday, April 05, 2006

take a picture


The new kitchen looks like all the other kitchens I’ve had and there is something very comforting about that. Old and charming with a big porcelain sink and window looking out to the back yard. Something about it makes me want to mash potatoes and bake a pie. It inspires me to fold the dish towel and hang it sweetly over the oven door handle. Suddenly, I am the maker of cozy. Stand still too long and I’ll wrap you in blankets and turn on cartoons. Watch out! I’ll smooth down your hair with a licked finger and top it off with a kiss on your forehead. Make room in your fridge because you aren’t leaving without a tupperware container full of left overs. That’s just how it’s gonna be.

Aside from the near nervous breakdown the move unlashed and the 30 hours of sleep it induced, it went pretty smoothly. The week leading up to it was filled with hard to get sales calls and me nursing a bad cough. Or perhaps The Consumption. I’d pack and swill Robitussin until which time I’d pour myself into a pair of dress pants and hoof off to the 41st floor of a swanky high rise office tower to pitch the benefits of online advertising with a smile. In three days I probably eeked out a mere 6 hours worth of work and somehow my boss was still pleased with me. God love him.

I slept after that. 18 hours on Saturday. 12 hours on Sunday. Putting away dishes and folding laundry for the few hours I was vertical, pushing the recommended daily dosages on cough syrup and Advil. Come Monday I was shocked to still be sick figuring the germs would have died from sheer boredom if nothing else. Four blocks from here is a drug store containing my next bottle of cherry flavored silence that I’ll be due to purchase tomorrow if my immune system can’t crack this puzzle. But if you think that will stop me from my Wednesday evening rendezvous with The Boy On Whom I Have A Crush, you’d be wrong. I’m going to go on the assumption that he finds cold medicine induced stoopidity charming and thinks Halls Vapor Action breath is sexy.

I have a mountain of art supplies to unpack. I was fairly unaware of the magnitude of my craft arsenal. It seems big enough to require some kind of license or registration with the state. I have enough pipe cleaners to reenact Hands Across America in stick figurine. Enough glitter to glam up the Space Needle. Paint for days. Sharpies by the dozen. I have the evil plan of turning my bedroom into an art studio in which I sleep. Ideas for shelving and storage bins are dancing in my head. I see bulletin boards with tacked up sketches and a big basket of yarn in my future. It’ll be a fine fine day when painting requires little more than sitting down and the skirt I want to make is covering my ass instead of kicking around my head. Making things keeps me happy. And out of trouble. So make things, I will.

The move was the last stressful thing on the agenda. That’s not to say another thing won’t come up and bite me in the ass, but after the break up with the Boy I Should Have Never Been Seeing, the job change, The Event ... it seems as though a break is in order. I’m playing it cool, focusing on art and work and filling my time with as much peace and glee as I can pack in. I’m shooting for a calm that borders on boring and if I even land close to it, I’ll be glad. I imagine my blog deteriorating into shopping lists and detailed cat updates. I can picture myself chatting with clients about how cool it is to watch dust settle. Like really cool, mind blowing cool. Like the plastic bag in American Beauty. You can’t take your eyes off it kind of cool.

12 comments:

Brooke said...

Your blog is that kind of cool, you know. I'm glad the move is over - and please wrap me in blankets and set me in front of some cartoons! I'm into that kind of regression these days.

Word Verification word: soyed, which I believe is my Islamic name.

heatherfeather said...

would you bake me a pie, please?

Jason said...

Do you mind if I call my band My Craft Arsenal?

I will play Funk Punk Folk.

I will wear no wig. I will trip the light fantastic.

I will wear black eyeglasses to attract girls like you.

J.

Me.Myself.I said...

Please bake me a pie as well. I am feeling somewhat partial to peach now, but any flavor will do.

"as much peace and glee as I can pack in" - that's exactly how i am feeling right now. Got four days off work and, aside from doing my taxes, i plan to take it easy. no work, no thoughts of work (hopefully), and lots of reading.

PLUS - friends coming over tomorrow for cupcakes and goofiness.

Bliss.

and its Spring so i am happy

Jay said...

Old Mountain cure for the cold: Take one fifth of Ol' Kentuckey and one hat. Place hat on bedpost. Get under covers. Drink whiskey until you see two hats.
Call me in the mornin'...

;)

Naomi said...

I've got the kind of calm which is smack-bang in the middle of boring. I am giving up writing, for the moment, and heading back to a job in an office. And I want it. I WANT it.

Unknown said...

Brooke: Is that a dare? Do you want me to cover over there with a quilt and a bag of Chips Ahoy? Because I will.

HeatherF: Yez.

Chunk: The eyeglasses are the key. This, you know.

Michelle: Peach pie. A pie made of peaches!

Jay: Problem is I'm not sure I would wake up from that!

Naomi: I love it when you want the stuff you have. It's the best feeling ever.

Sam said...

I envy your sleep. In late may I'll be in the mountains again. What I am most looking forward to is an honest sleep.

heatherfeather said...

thank you. but no nuts in the pie please. i am quite allergic.

also no sesame street. or sesame seeds. i can't recall which is the one i am allergicated against.

Anonymous said...

haiku girl,
I have the biggest, geekiest crush on your blog. how do I know it's the biggest and geekiest? trust me, I know these things. I was toiling through blog deserts thinking, "why do these people even bother?" and then I found YOU!
Your writing is lovely, authentic and many times, simply stunning. I wish you could write more often. I know that you are no longer bored in coffee shop hell (of course I've read the archiuves!)but you know, a little somethin somethin weekly would sure keep this girl satisfied. I mean, what happened on Wednesday night? Are all of your friends in blanketted bundles on your couch eating pie?
Anyways, I am devoted to your sweetness, your saltiness, your blog. Thank you for writing.
peace in,
jj

Unknown said...

Pseudonym: Envy my sleep? Try Jay's recipe for cold removal. That'll have you out like a light!

Heather Feather: The pie will not be pecan. Or nutty in any other way than who baked it.

JJ: Wow! That totally made my day. Thank you for the amazingly well worded compliment and I'm all giddy you have a geeky crush on my blog!

Anonymous said...

i'm looking for that 'calm' too - that doing but not being run rapant. time to create in slowness. and i'm envisioning a bulletin board too. i need a place to tack things so i can see what i'm thinking/planning.