Monday, October 03, 2005

wash it in baby blue


Us today, walking to the bus stop, bickering. We act like an old married couple. We can find each other’s buttons in the dark. One hand tied behind our backs. I don’t hear him. He doesn’t hear me. I said something about painting and he thought I meant walls but I meant pictures and I didn’t say one word. Instead, I threw my imaginary hands up in the imaginary air and sighed one of those sassy imaginary sighs. In real life though, all I did was realize that we weren’t listening to each other anymore and oh, he’s said about 4 dozen things and I didn’t catch a single one. There you have it.

The bus came and went with him. I walked home, getting lost in the herd that is a downtown Seattle sidewalk at 6pm. I tried not to think about it and instead planned out my next paintings. Pictures. Not walls. As I weaved through the slower moving people traffic and crossed the imaginary line into my neighborhood. He was like barely there brushstrokes. Under the surface. Messing everything up.

He is my unlikely muse in tennis shoes and a track jacket. The pictures I snap of him are my favorites. The stories I toss up, my most read. My artwork bears witness. Secret messages hidden in little corners that he’ll never find. And I don’t tell. When we talk, we are all ideas. Sometimes saying the same exact thing at the same exact time and other times adding on to barely there notions until they are whole novels with hard covers and dog eared pages.

For all this sameness we are not the same. Easily I am the more sensitive. Sweet. Wavering of the two. He is stone sometimes. He is compartmentalized. Easily, the funnier of the pair. Attached by rubber bands. Or crazy glue. Or nothing real at all. We go from being best friends to not speaking in 15 seconds and then right back again. But it’s just me who brings him orange juice when he’s cranky from the rain. It’s just me. There you have it.

It’s Monday night and in three days I’ll be in the art space, hiding my nerves in a glass of red wine with my art up and lit and people squinting at my pen lines and whispering to their friends. I squandered tonight. I should have painted. Pictures. Not walls. One more piece for Thursday. One more block of color breaking up the white. But after a weekend of acrylic, my creative peanut is fast asleep.

Listen closely. You can hear the zzzzzzz’s.

10 comments:

b1-66er said...

for a "haiku girl"
you sure write a lot of words
not that that is bad

Cassandra Kinaviaq Rae said...

I love the sexual tension in finding buttons in the dark

Rusty said...

Man, your blog is certainly worth bookmarking.

Seriously, Haiku-girl, you get more spam comments (spamments?) than anyone I know. It's like they chase after you, or you attract them. Like the smoke from a campfire.

Good Luck tomorrow night. I'm sure the show will go good. Red wine helps dull nerves, so drink up.

Irene I.P. said...

Took your advice.

Writing made me cry. :(

Jason said...

Hi there, long time listener, first time caller.

Everytime I come back I feel better knowing there are people like you in the world.

Your creatiivty should be bottled and sold on sidewalks by kids with slingshots in their back pockets.

J.

David Collett said...

If you did decide to bottle your creativity and sell it, you could advertise it with blogger spam.

Lovely post BTW.

It started off with both you seeming quite distant from each other. But, it got me thinking, maybe the distance makes it more valuable, satisfying, creatively productive. I don't know - just musing on other people's lives.

Anyways...

Contrary Guy said...

More than a few gears shifted here... from one-on-one tales to the Monday artspace and red wine comments... keeping us on our toes! ;0

beats a desk job... my desk job... keep posting the updates ;)

Yoga Korunta said...

Enjoying your blog!

Anonymous said...

"...i threw my imaginary hands up in the imaginaryy air and sighed one of those sassy imaginary sighs."

i like that.

Me.Myself.I said...

Dangit, I love reading your writing!