Monday, September 26, 2005

say cheese


“Who’s that whore you’re giving my orange juice to?” That whore meaning the blond in the next room. That orange juice meaning the carton he had in his hand.

I don’t know if he laughed. Answered. Ignored her. His mom standing in a “I lost my ass in Vegas” sweatshirt. Her words coming out not in English but Tagalog, her native tongue. Mike could understand her but not answer back. Passively fluent. Her words hitting him in a part of the brain that understood but was mute. There he was, silent, standing barefoot on the cold tile in their San Francisco home. On the cul-de-sac. With the manicured yard. With his spit fire of a mother making jokes at 7am.

He had moved back home after his engagement ended. Packed up and did the grown up thing of taking up residence in his boyhood room. Posters on the wall. Trophies on the bookshelf. Pictures of his friends from 10 years ago push pinned to the bulletin board above his desk. I don’t know for sure, but I bet the bedspread had trains on it.

The night before he had gone out with friends. Drinking his weight in mixed drinks, he met a girl and took her home. Charming enough to joke away the big house full of parents and school pictures as they pulled up the driveway. Smooth enough to get her laughing at his twin bed.

So there he was. Whip smart. Complex. Whirling from a breakup he didn’t see coming but needed just the same. On the verge of taking off and being a nomad for a while. He’s about 3 months away from meeting a Swedish girl in Europe. One who he’ll fly half way around the world to see on a regular basis. 4 years later he still has frequent flyer miles left to spend. But in his pajamas, with the orange juice in hand, all he knows is there is a beautiful girl who wants something to drink sitting on the sofa.

He told me this story at lunch. To illustrate his mother. His family. His home on the cul-de-sac. I immediately fell in love with his mom. “Who is that whore you’re giving my orange juice to?” In her native tongue? In her Vegas sweatshirt? Absolutely classic. This was a woman I wanted a photo of on a t-shirt. An immigrant from the Philippines, she was self made. Put herself through school while raising two kids. Her husband doing the same. A somewhat common story until you know that one of those kids was Mike. A hooligan. Full of bad ideas. Enough magnetism to talk people into executing them. He was fucking girls in middle school and growing pot plants in their back yard. To her credit, he turned out all right. The montessori and private schools and family lawyer paid off. He’s grown up, good job, grad school now.

Sometimes I wish I had known him then. The chaos of his teen years and the ups and downs that followed make for good stories shared over plates of fried food and beer drinks any night of the week. We call each other “partners in crime ‘ and plot our very grown up versions of mischief. Spray painting. Street art. Getting high. We’re soft now. Not undertaking anything we aren’t confident we couldn’t buy our way out of. He still has a family lawyer. I just have a phone book. But together we’re worth nearly 200k a year. That’ll get us pretty far.

How far?

Polaroid competitions far.

See, Mike is my one of my bestest buddies. We pinky swear. We eat lunch together almost every day. We tease each other incessantly. We concoct crazy plans. The latest being a photo duel involving me, him and two Polaroid cameras. We started a blog to chronicle the adventure.

www.hesawshesaw.blogspot.com

So think of this as a formal introduction to him. He’s good people. But remember, my photos are better.

13 comments:

David Collett said...

I hate blogger spam.

I get all warm and sentimental reading the art of someone's life on their blog. Then I see the number next to the comments and get all excited when I think someone has a collarly to the piece, and it will be a chance for me to understand or feel more from the piece. My mouth waters.

But then it's something stupid like on fishtanks or online dating services.

Bummer dude.

---

The weirdest thing is that you've just spent a post describing the most closest and life affirming of relationships with the most beautiful of language, and then the blogger spam, in it's crappy grammar, spews out a consumerist, hollow relationship creator.

Such a contrast. Maybe it makes your piece more beautiful and special through its comparison.

---

Anyways, found you through Cassandra, love your work, read it often.

Jay said...

Heh... I was confused until the end I think. Maybe I'm still confused.

Is it fair to call this Mike the 'good Mike' and Mike back home as the 'bad Mike"? I'm assuming this is a different Mike. Either way, it's a good story. Nay, in fact, I will say it is indeed a 'golden story'!

I had lunch with my ex-wife yesterday. She came up from her little town to my bigger town to shop and see an old co-worker, and she stopped by and saw me. That just made my day. :)

Rusty said...

That's a great story. "I lost my ass in Vegas" sweatshirt. 7 am. Great story.

Look forward to photos. Great idea to use polaroids.

P.S. Why would one Mac owner go back to Windows? I don't get the corollation between Mac ownership and online dating. hmmm.

Contrary Guy said...

Sounds like a cool idea... kinda like the thing they do at photofriday.com where a word is picked and people submit their pics. But they didn't think of using Polaroids...

so yeah I'm waiting to see some pics ;P

Jason said...

neat idea dude.

My money's on mike though.

He's got private school angst.

Cheers,

J.

Unknown said...

Pax: thanks for the compliments and astute comment on how online dating spam kinda offsets my lil ditty about my pal. Very smart of you.


Jay: How about Mike No. 1 and Mike No. 2? I'll have to tell Mike No. 2 he's like a pencil. He'll like that... cuz he's sharp. BWA HA HA.

Rusty: We should start a Mike's Mom Fan Club.

Contrary Guy: They're a coming. They're a coming.

Jason: You'd put your money on Mike? On MIKE? I thought I had you at hello.

My-Conscience said...

Thanks you for visiting my site. Just popping in to see what's going on at your place. Come again! Haiku's are every friday...

Editor said...

hey that's a great blog, I also have a site about online dating service
you can check it out : online dating service

Unknown said...

Is blog spam trying to tell me something?

Editor said...

I just came across your blog about catholic dating service
in weblogs and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about catholic dating service
so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

David Collett said...

Hi,

So much robo-spam. I wonder if there's a way to get them into loop where they just post to each others sites. That would be cool.

Anyways, if you can't beat them join them...

Hi,

I just came across your site on online dating. Excellent site BTW.

You may be interested in my Axis of Evil list generator. Perfect for generating lists of evil doers for the crusader who's short on time.

(Note: Evilness not guaranteed)

Cassandra Kinaviaq Rae said...

Hey Ms. Haiku-Girl ~

Beautiful post. So good I had to read it twice. I'm always inspired to write more after reading you.

~ Cass.

Unknown said...

Pax: Turning them unto themselves. Like that snake that Ben Franklin drew.

Cass: Hi! Thanks for the nice compliment!