Saturday, February 11, 2006

pull the ripcord


I am employed again! It’s like working for NASA. I went from a much smaller paper to a much larger paper and the amount of high tech gadgetry and sales support is making me feel like I’ve hit some sort of work jackpot. You can listen to your email over your phone and your voicemail over your email. This may not sound like much. For all I know maybe 75% of all companies offer this fine feature, but my email and voicemail have never met before and if I wanted them to it would have required the help of a grumpy IT guy and a tape recorder. But OH, It doesn’t end there! Customer management programs are chit chatting with Outlook. Emails and attachments are automatically saved in the customer program via seamless address recognition. We drink Tang every morning and wear silver sapcesuits around the office. There are zero gravity rooms and the coffee is freeze-dried and crunchy. Seriously, pinch me.

Plus, I somehow got paid already and I’ve only been there since Monday. How do they do it? Seriously. HOW DO THEY DO IT?!?

Went to see King Kong. Otherwise known as the worst movie ever. Save your hard earned money, Jimmy. I didn’t hold a gun until I was in the army, Jimmy. I had a drill sergeant. I was a man, Jimmy! We were in the theater for what seemed like three days and the monkey still wasn’t in New York.

One of my many problems with the movie: there are like 10,000 prehistoric species of animals on Skull Island and they take the angry gorilla as their prize. THERE WERE DINOSAURS, Jimmy. Dinosaurs? Big gorilla? Dinosaurs? Big gorilla?

Can you hear me slapping my forehead?

Who picks the gorilla?!?

I’m experiencing post KONG stress disorder. It’s been 72 hours and it’s still pissing me off. Matt and Boo were good movie buddies though. Our collective squirming and snide comments got us through. We were like a team that went in and played a good game. We high fived when it was over. I poured Gatorade over Boo’s head. It was fun.

Tonight we’re going to a show. Matt has some pals playing in this kick ass zany hip hop meets punk rock aerobics kind of band and I’m nearly wetting my pants in anticipation of the night’s festivities. It’s gonna be a rip roaring good time and I may even take a shower and attempt to look “cute” for the occasion. Although. Eh. Don’t count on it.

The Events are still making themselves known. It’s all left field kind of stuff lately. Things I overhear or stumble across will remind me of it. It’s like high tide when that happens. It washes over me and then slides away. Anger is the most persistent of the tides. I picked a fight with my costar and realized, rather quickly, that it wasn’t a smart move but I didn’t know how to get out of it once I was in it. It’s easy to blame him. It’s easy to spew mean mean words that have my full backing and support only in the moment. It’s part of this process. Part of accepting what happened. I hear that it’s normal. I hear that it passes. I hear that you can stay angry for a long time while this settles into you. And that’s where I am right now. Sometimes fine, sometimes not. The scales will continue to tip though. The fine days will stake their claim to me and the angry ones will turn to understanding and peace and calm instead. It’s all deep breaths and one day at a times. Picking up a little meaning here and there along the way. Filling up my pockets.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - the email/voicemail thing sounds pretty cool. congrats on being gainfully employed again. it's a nice feeling ;-)

Unknown said...

Brooke: Again with the smarts! Over-understanding does cloud things. If I were a role-playing game character, my empathy points would be off the fucking charts! (And I'd probably be wearing a cape and have a pet unicorn.) The anger is good for now. It's a step, you know? I have to go through it to get to the other side. And through it, I go.

NYABG: Helloooooo again! I need to update my link to you because it currently goes to nothing and that is a shame! You are a good read, my dear.

Lisa Armsweat said...

I am so pleased to hear about your futuristic new job! Huzzah to that, my friend. May good things continue coming your way, and slowly bump out any negative junky-crap you have to deal with.

I didn't like King Kong, either, and yeah, what was the deal with Jimmy? He wasn't all that lovable for a stowaway sea scamp. And there is no way that the people would have survived that big-plant-eating-dinosaur and raptor stampede along the cliff. ALL DEAD, every one of them. That's the part in the movie that I reached where I was like, "COME ON!"

Jay said...

Hooray for employment!! It's good to have things like...food. And utilities. And rent. And guitar strings. And you just ruined Kong for me, thank you very much. I had never entertained the whole specis-collecting angle until you mentioned it. Hmm.. gonna have to drink and ponder that one.
And oh yeah, Happy V-Day... ;)

Unknown said...

Lisa: Yeah. What WAS the deal with Jimmy? He was ferrel and in need of neutering.

Jay: Yeah - food is good. Art supplies are better! Sorry to ruin KONG for you. I wasn't aware that I could say anything that could make it WORSE, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Contrary Guy said...

I'm on a sequel embargo, so I've blown off Kong, probably forever. The 1930's original is where the dinosaurs come from... Peter Jackson's just trying to keep to the old story. All 3+ hours of it.

As for the job, congrats! And save me a seat; sounds like the place I'd want to work.

Anonymous said...

pull the ripcord!

Anonymous said...

POP THE POPCORN

Anonymous said...

PET A UNICORN

Unknown said...

Daily: my favorite:

3:11 AM HAIKU

asshole in a dark
alley is what I'm saying
and through it, I go.

nice.

pop the popcorn, indeed.

i've pulled the ripcord.

gimme a unicorn and we'll be best friends forever.

what have you done with the word cupcake since it being assigned to you? besides lick the frosting off.

Unknown said...

Contraty Guy: I will save you a seat. There are a few empty cubes that have your name written all over them.