Monday, December 19, 2005

and we held hands like this


Never before have I been to so many holiday parties. Not bad for being the new girl. They blend together in an early morning snowfall haze of too many drinks, an abundance of finger foods and heaps of idle chit chat. Picture us wrapped in garland and singing Christmas carols. Picture us drinking eggnog and munching on gingerbread men. Picture us as we toast the holiday and then walk out into the 40 degree, no snow winter that is Seattle in December. In 5 days I go home. To snow. To icy. To seeing my breath. Maybe then it will feel like Christmas.

One of the parties ended with a drunk 26 year old in my apartment, in his underwear and me wondering how exactly this happened. We talked most of the night and held hands off and on. He is complex in a "could fuel a trilogy" sort of way. His angst was apparent. Confused. Alone. Unsure. Is that all of us at 26? All of us prone to thinking too much. All of us prone to wearing our hearts on our sleeves. I listened to him unravel and came across as the level headed of the pair. You have no idea how novel that was. Pigs were flying by my window with yellow miners hats on so they could find their way in the dark.

Ha...

Me? Level headed?

From the desk of cryptic being the new straightforward: I had a thing for a thing and it went really well. I don’t know when I’ll hear about the thing, but I’m guessing soon. And while I’m not giving much away, trust me when I say it’s pretty much all I want for Christmas. That and world peace, or something. And those cute lime green shoes. And something to wear with them. But that’s it. I swear.

I've made a new friend and she is a red head. I have another friend who is a blond. We occasionally all hang out. In case you didn’t know, I have dark brown hair. So, together we form some sort of Playboy pictorial waiting to happen. Or better yet, some fast forward to a “where are they now” expose on the Power Puff Girls. We’ve talked a little bit about the hair trio we form and how many hair trios have gone before us - - from Charlie’s Angels to 9-5 to the aforementioned kindergartners out to save the world. We feel as though we should do something with this power, but we can’t decide on anything. We’re too lazy to fight crime. Too shy to pose nude. Seems like the most we can muster is attending happy hours together. Perhaps there is a sitcom in there somewhere.

And incase you were wondering. Yeah, the blond is the hot one. I’m the smart one who cleans up well. And the red head, she’s quirky with impeccable taste in footwear.

I painted this weekend and finished one piece. It’s either proof that I’m crazy or my inner child bonked me over the head and took control of the brushes. It’s a nighttime winter wonderland kind of thing with snowflakes and stars and there are a ... um ... a buncha pandas in it. Some may be floating. Others sitting in trees. Infestation style. It’s cute though. I’ll try to post a picture.

Panda.

Infestation.

Mmmm.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We feel as though we should do something with this power, but we can’t decide on anything.

I think what your doing sounds just fine. I'm so glad that you are in a hair trio where you can be so positive about each other. The last hair trio I was in was in college and although we were the best of friends I must admit that I (the red head) was the snide sarcastic one, the brunet was the mean bitchy one and the blond was the dumb slut. Again, a sitcom waiting to happen... or maybe we were the super villains to your heroines.

I love your blog.

Me.Myself.I said...

Ah, the world is full of pandas these days!

I am going to see the new baby Panda at the Nat'l Zoo here in D.C. this very morning. He promises to be cute and cuddly - that is if he's not asleep inside where we can't see him.

I hope that the thing about the thing works out. I am excited for you and all that JAZZ!

Lisa Armsweat said...

Panda Infestation!! Don't look now but they are huddling and murmuring under the bed. I think it's a secret meeting. They have black and white plans to hatch. And they want to dance with you, too, if time permits!

Contrary Guy said...

mmmm, yes, that's most of us at 26.

As for the tri-color pictorial, my camera gear is at the ready, in case you need 'backup'. ;P

Jay said...

H- Can you transcribe my journals and diaries into something that people want to read? My own angst-fueled trilogy is almost complete and if'n ya could Hollywood up my scripts I would be much obliged.

extraspecialbitter said...

Extra Special Bundle #3 arrived when I was 26 years, four months and change. Suffice to say, I had little time for angst, but trouble was a brewin'.

I've been a hair trio all by my lonesome: brown hair as a kid that gradually turned jet black, and then that distinguished gray look...

Jason said...

The brunettes are the ones everyone remembers when they grow old.

J.

Anonymous said...

remember remember
that crazy december
26 is a number
and a big one at that
been left out to dry
but i am still wet
remember remember
her features so slender
number one is a number
and she took me to bed
i took off my glasses
and i wanted to wed
remember remember
the morning was tender
34 is a number
and a late one at that
a warm fragrant emptiness
where she lay down her hat.
-

Monstee said...

Merry Belated Christmass and a VERY Happy New Year to you!!

Anonymous said...

Manager! Please please update your blog!!!!! i'm dying to hear about your holiday.

Brooke said...

Hello! I am very bad for being out of touch. THings have been crazy what with the scraping of wallpaper and the defying of resolutions. But hi! Want to go to lunch? Email me! I will email you back! And then we will drink beer at noon.

darkmuze said...

Speaking of pandas, I'm becoming one myself whats with those increasingly dark cresents under my eyes.

I love what you write. Can't wait for your next post! :)