Tuesday, August 23, 2005

hold out your hands like this


I’m trying to write this story. About moving. About moving on. And I keep getting stuck on this image. The three of us, hugging and crying and laughing all at once in the pitch dark bitter cold of winter in Minnesota. While I was living it, I knew I’d remember it forever. It was just one of those times where you take a breath and think hard. Concentrate to see all the details. Smell all the smells. I knew I wanted this with me for the road ahead. Remembering how cold my pants legs were against my skin. Remembering the sound of a shattering coffee mug. Remembering what friendship can be and sometimes is. I’ll get it out eventually. For now it keeps kicking around my head and stirring up happy sometimes, sad some other times. The power of friendship is strong.

Stronger than strong.

Jo is home. Back in Minneapplesauce. Apparently, it never gets easier to say good bye. I miss her and her couch and her near endless supply of smarts and quips and pep talks. The girl is a real gem. A real gem, I tell you. We stayed up late yapping and making each other laugh. We drank my weight in pricey booze. We went all over this crazy town. Today I was tired and blurry eyed and happy. Vacation after glow.

Speaking of friends.

Irene sent me a haiku book. Published by a girl who is kinda like me. With glasses. Kinda not like me at all. With barrettes. Inside was tucked a postcard. It said, simply, that my haiku were better. And the best part about that is they probably aren’t any better. Oh, maybe one of my best haiku trump one of her worst haiku. But most likely they’re just the same. Here’s the thing though. The Important Part. I know Irene thinks mine are better, and that’s pretty cool.

I’d write a haiku here but.

I told Mike about how I see people sometimes. How I’ll just see them. Them. Suddenly. At their very worst or their very best. Just a flash. Like two frames in a movie. Then it’s gone and I feel like I have this insight that I shouldn’t have. Like I read a diary or heard a rumor I wish I hadn’t heard. It happened while we were talking. Not of Mike, of a passer by. Even clumsier than this, I asked if it happened to him. The seeing people. The peek. Watching his face to see if my new fall tv show style confession would hit anywhere that made sense to him. To my surprise, he said “yes.” To my surprise, I thought “huh.”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all teary-eyed. :(
You're gone...Jo is off and running for who knows how many more days. hrmph.

My favorite hiaku is still the one we wrote together sitting in a cold car waiting for the heat to kick in:

Only 10 degrees
Frozen in place scared to move
Warm skin, cold pant legs

My favorite part about it other than it being so very true, is that we spent the rest of the evening leaving the mark of Haiku Girl all over Target.

BTW, that haiku is still stuck on my window at work. It's always mixed in with the view: the homeless man currently peeing by the railroad tracks and my beautiful view of the Pepto-colored strip joint I look out on everyday.
-I

Jay said...

Your friendship is awesome. I have that too, with a friend that I've had longer than time itself it seems. I like those kinds of friendships.

:-)

Unknown said...

Irene: A comment! From you! How sweet! I hope it was teary eyed in a good way! AND hey - you make it sound like we peed on everything instead of putting homemade haiku stickers about kissing on bottles of Scope or ones about flowers on vases. It was a night of hijinx!

Jay: Yeah. Friends are way cool. Thank goodnes for 'em.

heatherfeather said...

you didn't pee over everything in target?

man, that's one less thing we can bond over, i guess...

Anonymous said...

Funny- I thought "the mark of haiku girl" would instantly conger up visions of pastel colored stickers on various items in the small appliances section of target-boutique.
-I

Brooke said...

HG! Are you free for lunch next week? Must... lunch... downtown!

Unknown said...

Irene: I knew what you were talking about, but I don't think anyone else did. I'm cool with leaving marks. Just not liquid ones, I guess.

Heather: I'm still young(ish) - I still go to Target - there is still hope.

Georgia: I'm in. I'll call you!

Unknown said...

O'Grady: That is way cool. I mean like way way way cool. I owe you a poem.

Unknown said...

O'Grady: Part of me is on Minnesota time. Part of me isn't.

Blogger Spam Haiku is a new art form, thanks to you. I'll return the favor. Promise.

Just chance that Frogger and Blogger happen to rhyme - I don't think so.

I've got the ham. I got it.