Saturday, April 16, 2005

you were all over town but still so crayola brown


Free falling. Trying to grab hold of a tree branch on the way down. Leaves scrapping my skin. Twigs poking. Spit out. Merry go round. Fuck! I’m late! Do these pants look alright? It’s only my third week. I can’t be late. Third week. “Yes ma’am,” he’d say. Whistle, too. Pinstripes are the best things ever. This sweater is pissing me off. Wrinkled. Smoothed. Wrinkled. No time. Gotta go. Some days I will look better than other days.

Out the door. Sunny. Fish for pink movie star sun glasses. Why is my bag so fucking BIG? Here they are. They seem wiggly. Fix. Find a glasses place and have them fixed. What time is it? That Asian place across from Tully’s has a clock. Take Yesler to Western. Yesler to Western. Look at my ass. How did that happen? It looks round, but it isn’t. Magic pants. Super imposed over a $1500 lime green sea urchin made of wire and plastic and for sale. Hello. I see you every day. Turn. Yesler. Down to Western. What am I doing here? Go home. Go home. Hey, come get me. I belong here. Dropped out of the sky here. Put here. Thrown here.

Stop light.

Crossing the street. Dozens of people. Like a real city. “Sorry, I don’t have any change.” But I do. Is that a lie? A fib? I don’t lie. Does that count? Do I count? Tree branches. Scraped. Rocks. Grab hold. Stop all this for a bit. Can I catch my breath? Flashing orange hand. Flashing orange hand. Flashing orange hand. Glowing. Our turn soon. On. Walking man silhouette. Go. Cobblestones. Clunk clunkc lucnk. Who do I ask?

I saw her before. Remember her hair. Did I leave my door open? Time? Tully’s. Pho. Vietnamese. Clock inside. 8:45. Fuck! What can I say? What can I say? Nothing to say. I overslept. Slept over. Alarm went off. Closed my ears slept through did not stir sound asleep go away be quiet I can’t hear you. I’ll just say I overslept. Nothing more to. Is this Western? Yes. Turn. Just a few blocks. Just a few now.

Will today be any easier? It will be 5 before I even take off my coat. Fast days. Questions. Reports. Who is going to call the book? Meeting. Do I have meetings today? Did I bring that. I did. Lunch with that guy. I think at noon. High noon. He said he watched Deadwood. Bang bang. Oh. Look. He’s cute. Smile. Smile back. Someone’s life changed when I said yes. When I packed. When I left. I wonder whose it is. Bother. Bother. Just focus on. Stop light.

Ferry dumps 4 dozen people onto the side street. Have to wait for the human river to let up. Turn to a trickle. I need to cross. I’m late. I’m late. “Sorry, I don’t have any change.” The line in Starbucks is a dozen deep. Fucking ferry. Stop light now. So close. Alexis hotel awning one block up. One block up. Is it 8:50? 8:55? Fuck. Turn green, please. Turn. Green. Go. Shuffled. Jostled. "Excuse me." Pigeons. Crossing the street. That's the driver who took Paul. Smile. Wave. He knows who I am. One block. In. There. Main doors. My shoes sound like high heels on the glossy wood floor. Click click click. Press up. Just once. That mirror makes me look pretty. Why do I even bother to do my hair? It's all over. Wind. When will I get rained on today? Or the light. Maybe it's the light. Some sort of orange glow. Smoothes. Ding. Open. Press three. Press door close. Close. Up. Clear my head. The lights in here are bright. Catch my breath. It's all good. It's all good. Fuck! Pinch. Open. Out.

1 comment:

Jay said...

All in a day's work for a busy girl...