Sunday, April 10, 2005

the more lost you are,
the more you have to look forward to


I had a page and a half of 11point Arial all set and ready to go, but this isn’t it. The page and half was on the Seattle this isn’t. On the occasional bouts of homesickness that kick me in the stomach. My once in a while doubts. My hands shaking during my first staff meeting. I wrote it in bits and pieces of overwhelmed and worried and afraid. But that isn’t Seattle.

It could be.

But I would rather it not.

It’s clay right now. It’s all up to me. It’s a million strips of newspaper and bowl of flour and water mixed together, and maybe even a balloon. I can make what ever I want.

I think I’ll make a crow.

A big one.

Jet black.

Have it hold something shiny and beautiful in it’s beak.

I once read somewhere that crows carry souls from darkness into light. That they are good luck. Ethical. Keepers of time and space. Magic.

Like here.

Seattle is Good luck. Magic. Silver lining. Pure potential. Open arms.

I have a few great co-workers. A local coffee shop. A Chinese take-out place. A dry cleaning lady. A smiley soup guy. A knitting class. A writing class. A really good friend. A one week away from being mine kitten. Guitar lessons. A nice apartment. A NYC style walk to work. Mostly nice weather, including some of the rainy days. The fun feeling of being lost and not caring. Of everything being new. The Sound. The Market.

All that in just three weeks.

Yes.

I’ll make a crow.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Don't forget, you also have a new library with escalators that only go up.

Katy said...

If you haven't taken the guided tour of the Seattle library, please do. It is so awesome.
Good luck.

extraspecialbitter said...

Minnesota is a very decent place to live, therefore it shouldn't be the least bit surprising that you have the occasional pang of longing. I didn't grow up there, lived there for just under two years and hardly knew a soul there but still felt a sense of regret when I left.

My final night in Minnesota was a dinner for one at Lindy's Steak House. From there I sent the following postcard to myself at my new location in Acton, MA:

leaving Minnesota --
a shooting star
in my rear-view mirror

Chin up, Haiku-Girl!

Jay said...

I'm just wondering if the creepy guy in the office has hit on you yet. ;-)

Anonymous said...

yes - you go ahead and make anything you darn well please - it's your adventure.