Tuesday, November 22, 2005

sugar


It would be just like that, you see. He holding on to me. Something in China would have fallen off a shelf so that I bumped into him on the bus. The old woman with the walker was cursing under her breath. Full of vinegar. Bottled up bottle rocket. But him. He went down like sugar. The tattoos on his arm remind me of a girl from a lifetime ago. He was nothing much more than right that second. Slipping me peppermints and a thank you. Showing him the door. The other one. Mixed up novel of who dunnit and who cares. Murky like the ocean he thinks. Dirty like a city puddle, I do. But her, when she opens her mouth daffodiles fall out. Sometimes I gather them neat and lay them at her feet. There is charm in the other. Southern drawl, southern slow. She bats her eyes at him and he finds himeself wanting more. But for me.

The movie theatre was pin drop quiet.

Painting her oddness on like fingernail polish, she leaves the house for the store. Mismatched socks and derby hats. She walks in sandles made before she was born. How did she reconize him so fast so quick. Like it was. Like it was. Ah. Like it was a movie. “Do you want me to tell it like boy meets girl and the rest is history or do you want it like a murder mystery? Awww, I’m gonna tell it like a come back story.” Because when I hit this city I was high on fumes. And the boy next to me just was.

Young.

Circling words in magazines and underlining the unimportant parts. Cutting the letter solid pages into strips for paper mache. Making sure to keep the good side up. The good side up. The good. The flour and water make my hands age before my eyes. Smoothing down each strip until it’s hidden. Now we wait for it to dry. I’m making a hot air balloon. She’s making it up as she goes along. Hey, wait. Aren’t we all?

My hair is chocolate brown, he says. And it smells like summer, he whispers.

Who are you anyway? Sometimes I picture his face and wonder how I ever got so lucky. Has it happened already? I think that an airplane just went by. Crawling out my window and drinking coffee on the ledge. We played a game of chinese checkers where I’m pretty sure he let me win. Shared a dougnut (we both wished we had gotten two.) Licking the sugar off our fingers and squinting in the 8am sun. Maybe this is all just a dream. And I’m on that plane really. Going home to say good bye to the boy that saved me.

Like an easter mass. Or like a two dollar bill.

That was a decade ago. Like 6 months or more. Now I’m undressing my soul and watching him look away. I’m sometimes like a car accident. I’m sometimes like an autopsy. I’m sometimes like the best thing that’s ever come his way. When she inhales slow and points her head up to the sky to let it all out I can see her when she was 15. I can see her when she was 51. But sometimes, it’s hard to see her at 35. It’s like time hit her all at once. And everything I said was a lie. An untruth. It was every little insecurity seeping out through my finger tips. Hollow. If you read it twice you would have heard the echo. would have heard the echo. I think i mentioned that before. But the thing is. Here is the thing. It’s like hearts slamming into each other. It’s like a bad science fiction movie. it’s like tapioca pudding. and he thinks it’s all to quiet some part of me that I’m tired of listenting to. Tired of listening. Tired. And there isn’t anything I can say to that no matter how loud i yell the nothing. my words hit his ears like butterflies in fog.

Hold my hand while I take these pills. Let the water trickle from your mouth to mine. Always know your lips always taste best when covered in the happy of me.

14 comments:

Rob said...

This is seriously seriously good stuff. By which I mean, it really resonated with me and I loved it. Thank you.

detroit joel said...

i second that.
fantastic writing

Anonymous said...

It's pretty.
It's conffessional.
It's sitting down to a machine,
where a warm body should be
and running your fingertips
over and erratic plastic desert,
where a warm body should be.
It's to pat your pockets for
where your soul shoud be
but to find instead improvisation.
It's pretty.
But it's light
bouncing around her room
toying with her retinas,
reflecting from
where a warm body should be,
falling onto her brains,
outlining sillhouettes that
ooze through her fingers
onto a screen.
The butterfly effect in practice.
Misdirection.
Placebo.

heatherfeather said...

my comments here always say the same thing.

i feel redundant saying i can't speak or breathe when you haev a new post up. i read it over and over and over until it fits inside my little brain.

which is no longer made of malt-o-meal, so i guess that's different. ooh... malt-o-meal. i wonder what i should have for breakfast.

ninjas!

Jason said...

that post made fat escape my body.

I am lighter because of you.

J.

Unknown said...

Bryan: Thank you for the compliments. I will textily curtsey for you here: _______

Joel: Same goes for you, kind sir.

Anonymous: Is this Daily? Although it doesn't seem like Daily. Whoever you are - - that was lovely.

Heather: Everyone always thinks you are me in disguise, leaving comments for myself. Clearly you are your own girl: ninja shirt, cleverness and all. Speaking of tha shirt, I'll give you $20 for it? tee hee.

Daily: Leave it to you to change one little letter and some how make it 4,000 times better. You are the GENIUS, my friend.

Chunk: You make me blush.

Thomas: We'll talk.

Jay said...

I echo the other sentiments on here, reading your prose is like visual honey for the eyes. It is magic, it is wonderful, beautiful magic and I hate that I am wanting to copy your style and use it for my own, but anything I could do would be a shallow reproduction.

You, girl, are pure awesome sauce, and that is no lie.

NYE said...

This is great and huanting writing! Love it. I found you through Thomas' site. Wish I read your blog when I was in Seattle in July. Thanks for this.

heatherfeather said...

it's true. i'm a different heatherfeather than is haiku-girl.

i can prove it photographically, but if you don't know h-g in real life, that won't help you much.

i'm not haiku-girl, i just masquerade like her on the internets.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you heard me right.

extraspecialbitter said...

your prose is as fresh and whimsical as always, but I found your shifting between first and third persons very effective, like you're wondering who this accidentally happy person really is.

Me.Myself.I said...

Oh my my......

Its really all that I can say.

Contrary Guy said...

like painting with words... a museum piece ;)

Anonymous said...

it's been awhile - and i got a treat.

thanks.