Sunday, May 29, 2005

her parents named her halleluiah


Here's to Lisa! She tagged me. Slapped a metal cuff with a serial number on it around my ankle and isn't taking it off until I answer the following questions.

The total volume of music files on my computer: Oh my. I don’t have a clue. I probably could find it if I asked the paper clip, but we aren’t speaking at the moment.

Last CD I bought:
Separation Sunday by The Hold Steady. Whip smart lyrics yelled over guitar heavy rock and roll. If you have the chance to see them live – go. I command you! They are worth whatever the cover price – even if it’s ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. They’re that good.

Song playing right now: I’m listening to KEXP. I have a bit of a crush on this radio station and strangely enough they just played The Hold Steady – How a Resurrection Really Feels. Coincidence? Kismet? Cosmic sign that Craig Finn and I are really meant to be together?

5 songs that mean a lot to me:

World At Large by Modest Mouse. I could have wrote this. I could have sang this. It sums up my last year and despite it’s minor key mood, I see it as my moving on, growing up, getting my smile back song.


Birdhouse In Your Soul by They Might Be Giants. I have loved this song since I first heard it way way way back when. Yes, I keep the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in my soul.


Government Center by The Modern Lovers. I fall a little bit in love with Jonathan Richman every time I hear a Modern Lovers song and this one is my favorite.


Can’t Smile Without You by Barry Manilow. My mom listened to Barry all the time. She had every record he put out. This song was my favorite as a little kid. I still like it. I still like him. I don’t care what y’all say!


Sing, Sing A Song by the kids on Sesame Street. I have really wonderfully memories of singing this song with my grandma and dancing around the kitchen. John Denver’s Sunshine On My Shoulders, too.

7 comments:

Me.Myself.I said...

Where the heck did you get that crazy-ass Sesame Street picture??!

Jay said...

"I have a secret to tell, from my electrical well. It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells."

I...I... I had no idea you were a TMBG fan.

Will you marry me? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your song choices are pudding-sweet! Thanks for taking me up on the tagging. And don't worry, you will get used to the metal thing hanging off your ear. :) --Lisa

extraspecialbitter said...

I see that Craig Finn is also an exile of Mini Apple Sauce. Coincidence?

Unknown said...

No, ESB, it is no coincidence at all! I first loved Craig in Lftr Pllr, a Minneapplesauce band through and through. I nearly cried, CRIED, when they disbanded. The Hold Steady is pretty much the only thing that could right that wrong. Are you a fan?

extraspecialbitter said...

Truth be told, I'm not familiar with their music, but - having listened to "The Swish" on launch.com, and having heard them compared to personal favorites Guided by Voices and the Grifters - I will have to change that.

Unknown said...

Adgal - who's knocking Barry? He is the KING of sex appeal. The feathered strawberry blond hair, the icy blue eyes, the unitards. I think I need a cold shower now.